Do you want the golf tournament itself to be profitable or are you simply having fun and playing golf? If you want the golf tournament to be profitable and be able to donate all or portions of the proceeds to a charity or foundation then you need to have a few things in place that can put your tournament on the path to success:
1. Tournament Committee - a group of dedicated people that are motivated to the goal to make your event a success. Assign roles and responsibilities and develop job descriptions. People need to know what is expected.
2. Pick a great Golf Course - The venue and the value of what your event brings to the golfers and sponsors will make or break your event. A great golf course will have impact to whether everyone comes back next year.
3. Volunteers - People that want to work to help the event meet its goals and will take on responsibilities. Have volunteers and committee members sign commitment letters.
4. Consultant - Hire an expert to assist with the organization of the golf tournament plan. This person provides insight to areas of the industry that you and your volunteers may not have expertise with. A good consultant will make your event more successful. Don't be afraid to pay for this expertise. Be smart and utilize them effectively. Have a detailed agreement in place to protect you and the consultant.
5. Budget - Establish and follow a well thought out budget. Plan ahead and follow the budget carefully. Adjust as you collect more donations and/or get golfers registered and keep your target goal in mind.
6. Checklist - "Failing to Plan is Planning to Fail". Plan out all tasks all the way through to include post event tasks. Too much detail initially is great. You can always decide to eliminate tasks you do not need later. Forgetting a task because you didn't plan ahead causes stress and points of failure.
7. Marketing - Determine your marketing plan early and get the word out in as many forms as possible. Direct mail, social media, websites, emails, phone calls, TV, Radio, etc…
8. Sell Sponsorships - Sponsorships are where your profits come from. Provide value to your sponors with a solid marketing plan. Everyone on your committee must sell sponsorships.
9. Recruit Golfers - There will not be a golf tournament without golfers. Everyone involved including your sponsors will need to recruit golfers. Your golfers and the fees they pay will cover your expenses.
10. Gifts/Prizes/Goody Bags - Make sure all golfers get a gift/goody bag. Golfers like to get great gifts. Make a memory for every person involved in the event. Your sponsors need help with this. Give them ideas and and have everything donated if possible. Reward your volunteers and recognize them…this goes a long way for building the next event. Recognize your sponsors and allow them the time to talk, meet, and speak to all participants.